When we receive a new games console, most games console are configured for the original Settings. So does GPD Win. If you’re a power user or gamer, there are many ways to setting up your GPD WIN for max performance. But not everyone is a power user or gamer. Do you want your GPD Win runs much faster? Play game much more smoothly? Open the website much more quickly? Don’t worry. Here are 3 pointers that will help you to set up your GPD WIN for max performance.
Firstly, we will be doing bios tweaks
- Go to BIOS settings by hitting DEL when booting up and go to SAVE & EXIT and click on RESTORE DEFAULTS.
- After restoring everything to stock, go to bios again. Go to ADVANCED and click on THERMAL>THERMAL CONFIGURATION and change PASSIVE to 75C on PROXY SENSOR, AMBIENT PARTICIPANT, CHARGER DISPLAY SENSOR, and CHARGER BOARD SENSOR. After that save settings and exit
- Go to BIOS again. This time, go to CHIPSET>NORTH BRIDGE>INTEL IGD CONFIGURATION. In this tab, we will be doing a lot of changes. Enable GFX BOOST, IGD THERMAL, and POWER METER LOCK. Disable/Enable IGD TURBO ENABLE (SEE UPDATE 2) and set DVMT PER ALLOCATED to 512M. Save settings and exit
- Go to BIOS again. Go to CHIPSET>NORTH BRIDGE>MEMORY CONFIGURATION OPTIONS. Ok this change which we are about to make is the most dangerous one because it can cause your GPD WIN not to boot again (source- PHAWX). I did the change but can’t honestly tell if gaming fps has improved because of this or not, so if you think you don’t want to take any change then don’t. The setting is to change DRAM SPEED GRADE to FAST. If you decide to do it, save it and exit. Note this time it will take longer than usual to reset so be patient. If everything goes well, congrats your GPD WIN isn’t bricked!
Now that we are done with BIOS tweaks. It’s time to reinstall Windows 10
- Follow Phawx’s awesome tutorial to reinstall windows 10. Link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPqkEgWwcdM
- When you are done reinstalling the OS and setting it up. Just go to customize and set everything to OFF. Don’s use EXPRESS SETTINGS.
- Install the drivers. Link – http://www.mediafire.com/file/31owja8j34c54il/GPD+WIN+drivers%EF%BC%8820160928%29.zip
- Install new wifi drivers to get 5GHZ working. Link – http://www.mediafire.com/file/m65e7jjkmh3agoc/GPDwin_PCIe_1.558.53.14.zip
- After installing the drivers, everything should be working fine.
- What I suggest is not to update windows at all and disable automatic updates using services. I have done this and haven’t had any issues in windows so far.
- Next let’s set up Intel Graphics configuration. Make sure you use the graphics drivers provided in the driver pack, don’t update it or anything. Go to GRAPHICS PROPERTIES>POWER and disable both EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE FOR GAMING and POWER SAVING TECHNOLOGY. Click on apply to save the settings.
- Now go to 3D. Turn off MULTI SAMPLE ANTI ALIASING AND MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI ALIASING. Change general settings to PERFORMANCE and click on apply to save.
- Now go to DISPLAY and add a custom resolution. Put 544 in WIDTH and 960 in HEIGHT and 60 in REFRESH RATE. Click on ADD to save. This resolution is good for playing some newer games and you can pretty decent FPS as well.
- This step is optional but you change GAMMA from COLOR SETTINGS to .8 or .9. This change makes some games look really good.
Now that we have set up Windows. It’s time for THROTTLES TOP. This software is awesome and helps out in a lot of the games I have tried.
- Install ThrottleStop 8.30. Link – https://www.sendspace.com/file/ghbhyh
- So here’s the things about this software. It basically can make your chip run at its base clock of 1.6ghz which can help in a lot of games and vice versa. I have noticed that certain games run better on base clocks instead of turbo boost. I am guessing this happens due to throttling but this software basically helps with the throttling and makes some games run better than being on turbo boost.
- To play games on base clocks of 1.6ghz, tick on SET MULTIPLIER and DISABLE TURBO and turn on.
- To play games on turbo boost, just untick DISABLE TURBO.
- If you are just browsing and surfing the net, I suggest you run the chip on base clocks. Also untick SET MULTIPLIER when you are doing simple tasks on Windows.